Monday, June 22, 2020

Solstice 2020 Garden Check-in

The beans are climbing, the sunflowers are stretching toward the heavens, the morning glories are whipping their tendril-arms about, and we enjoyed our first tomato of the year on the longest day of the year... The legendary "Atomic Grape" tomato!
Oooooo!  Aaaaaahhhh....


I am excited for the flatpod "Helda" beans to begin to rain down on us from this year's trellis.
Meowgic is seen here straddling the line that divides 'in' and 'out' as she so often does.


Here is our melon A-frame with a dozen "Ha'Ogen" Middle-Eastern green-fleshed melons front left and a dozen "Charentais" French muskmelons on the far side.


I'm not sure if these cabbages (bottom of photo) we grew from seed will make good heads or not, as it has been such hot weather, but they seem fairly healthy, so hopefully they do!  Upper right half of photo are a few tomato plants skirted by various basils which I have learned appreciate the semi-shaded canopy of a neighbor tomato rather than full sun exposure here in our climate.  Over on the left are a few "Snake of Mugla" eggplants and a few peppers.  Along the back fence is more of the same: a tomato, 3 different sweet peppers, a couple more basils.


I've also been collecting chamomile flowers from 2 plants on a weekly basis.  They're piling up!


Well, thanks for tuning in, see ya next time!



2 comments:

  1. You've got quite the garden of exotic sounding veggies! I like the bird bath, and seeing Marven's wheelbarrow that we gave him as a present decades ago. I was startled when I saw he removed the wheel and tire and replace it with his home made "no-flat" wooden wheel. I couldn't find Meowgic in the picture - probably my eyesight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks great! I recently made the same discovery about basil, too. The altitude sun is so strong here that my basil was always tall and skinny and would start to yellow. Now I have them shaded part of the day and they are beautiful, compact and green and haven't even flowered yet. BASIL SUCCESS!

    That atomic grape tomato really does look atomic!

    ReplyDelete

Marble Mountains (Pt. 4)

...Continued from Pt. 3 ...  Cresting Burn Mountain As we approached the top of what I have been calling "Burn Mountain", the trai...