Friday, May 5, 2023

Island of the Sun

I am excited to have finally landscaped this 15 ft. diameter circle in the middle of my driveway.  It is a hot spot in the summer, fully exposed to the Sun until maybe about 4:00 when a nearby Live Oak and Atlas Cedar start to cast some shade.  I wanted to plant it with extremely drought-tolerant specimens that I wouldn't have to worry about keeping watered (although, as you'll see, I did plant a citrus in there--that will be the one plant needing regular water, but it should thrive in the warmth, getting all that radiative heat from the asphalt).

Anyway, I had been wanting to do this for a long time.  The soil there was very poor and clay-like.  All that was growing there were some oregano and narcissus bulbs that my great aunt and uncle Freda & Marven must have planted decades ago.  As well as a large shrub which I didn't recognize and a couple salvias and a few other things that I had planted.  I dug up and saved what I could, replanting most of the plants.

This is my Before picture, although I had already dug up the pre-existing plants and begun loosening the top layer of soil in preparation for a delivery of soil conditioner that will help improve the drainage and break up the clay...

5 cubic yards of soil--woohooo!

I methodically worked my way from the middle to the edge of the circle, digging a little trench and "shaving" off layers of clay-soil with my shovel, mixing in the fresh conditioner as I went along.  This was day 1's progress.

The two outdoor cats I have taken under my wing, Angus and Dartanian, LOVED their new playground!

I spent about 3 weekends digging.  I "double dug" the area, which is a method where you dig a hole, move that soil aside, and then dig another layer deeper, making your way in that fashion.  The hardpan clay was about 18" down and felt almost like sculptor's clay--terrible for plant roots to grow in.  I wanted to make sure the area was really well prepared so the plants would flourish.  You only get one chance to really thoroughly amend your soil before planting, so I wanted to do it right.  I am proud to announce that my back did not give out on me!  I have been making a point to stretch regularly and do some basic core exercises and it has really paid off this Spring.

I was nearing the end of my soil-prep phase when I had the unfortunate experience of finding a dead deer in my yard... It seemed a few days since it had died, and there was a vulture beginning to eat it.  I saw no apparent injuries, so I didn't have any clues as to its cause of death.
I decided that since I already had dug a massive hole, I may as well keep it local and give the deer a proper burial, rather than call animal control.  I made this extra-deep deer-shaped hole in the center of the island.  I used a tarp to drag the body and also threw some lime on it, which I read would prevent odor.

The next morning, look who was on top of the barn, warming their wings up and looking for their unfinished meal. . .

The soil amendment phase finally completed, I got to start on the fun part!  I made a little improvised retaining wall about 2 feet high at the lower end of the circle (the driveway is on a slant).  I used pieces of reclaimed cinder block that I had around.  Since I am planting some plants that are acclimated to drought and living on slopes, this raised mound will be good for them, ensuring that their roots don't get smothered and oversaturated with water in the rainy season, which could lead to disease and rot.

And then the even more fun part: planting!
In the foreground is an unusual species of manzanita called Arctostaphylos gabilanensis with blue-green leaves.  Behind it and to the right are four Octopus Agaves and three White Sage.  There are a couple little purplish-colored aloes in there too.  On the left, in the 15 gallon can, is a Blood Orange tree, which I am very excited to be growing.  There is one by the bowling alley near my house and in the winter I collect the fallen fruit.  I thought it would be nice to grow my own.

More progress... this is just about at the finished stage.  I laid those slabs of ceramic down so that on hot summer days, one could recline back on them under the shade of the blood orange tree... we'll see how comfortable that turns out, or not!
Wire cages are in place to ensure deer don't destroy the plants before they have a chance to get established.  I anticipate removing these cages after a few months, hopefully.  I also brushed some cayenne pepper powder on some of the uncaged plants, just to send a clear message to the wildlife that this area is not a salad bar.

I use some decaying wood to stabilize the sides of the mound while the soil settles.  Also, buried wood is a good way to retain moisture, I think... sort of a half-assed hugelkulture (a method where twigs and logs are buried beneath the planting bed to create extra soil life and moisture retention, as well as just breaking up the clay soil).

That little green and red succulent in the middle of that pile of rocks is a Dudleya farinosa that I grew from seed collected on a hike.  Dudleyas are native succulents that are adapted to living on rocky cliffs and receiving no summer water.  Their common name is "Live-forever" due to their long lifespan and hardiness in the wild.  I hope it does well in this spot!
On the right is an "Old Man of Peru" cactus.
The cow skull was a gift from my Dad and Gail.  I think it adds a nice focal point to the landscaping.  I also liked how the sand makes a more desert-like effect.

Here are three madrones.  Two grown from seed (kinda hard to see, but they are there), and one purchased at a nursery (the tall one).  I have read that madrones are difficult to plant, often succumbing to fungal disease.  A few strategies I read about to mitigate this risk are 1) good soil drainage, of course 2) planting at the right stage, before the plants are too mature 3) collecting soil from a mature specimen and adding that to the planting hole to inoculate it with the beneficial myccorhizae (fungi) that work in symbiosis with madrones, and 4) keeping them in the same directional orientation while in their containers and in the ground.  Oh, and also 5) "Plant 3 if you want 1!".  So, I did all these things... hopefully I have success with at least one of them.  Madrones are one of California's most majestic plant species, in my opinion.  They are like tall tree versions of manzanitas, with silky smooth orange trunks that squiggle their way up toward the sun.

Octopus agaves on the left.  A big white sage at the top (native to Southern California, highly aromatic, loved by bees, and also used ceremonially by burning "smudge sticks" of the leaves).  And on the right is another species of Dudleya succulent that I purchased from work.  I planted it in the eye socket of another one of the cow skulls from Dad and Gail.  We'll see if it likes that situation--fingers crossed!

I planted about 20 native milkweed plants (Asclepias fascicularis) throughout the Eastern-facing side of the mound.  I grew these from seed after learning that this particular native milkweed species is apparently the most popular choice for the Monarch butterflies to lay their eggs on, in our region.  Previously, I had grown Showy Milkweed (Asclepias speciosa) and never had any Monarch butterflies interested in it.  I am excited to see how these ones grow and if they attract butterflies.  They should be very drought tolerant as well (they're called a "weed" for a reason!)

Bird's eye view

In foreground there is a Mangave hybrid I bought called "Lavender Lady".  I couldn't resist it's purple rosette.  It should tie in nicely with the purplish aloes planted nearby.
Behind that there is a Silver Dollar Eucalyptus.  Branches of this plant are common in floral arrangements because of their interesting bluish silver-dollar-shaped leaves.  I don't know what to expect as far as the mature height of this plant.  I may have to end up removing it if it grows too rampantly, we'll see. . .

Fabiana imbricata, a native to the dry slopes of Chile and Argentina.  This fascinating-looking plant is, believe it or not, in the tomato family, Solanaceae!  It should love this sunny spot on a raised mound, perhaps reaching up to 8 feet tall and becoming covered in these tubular little flowers in Spring.

That's a wrap!

It was a big undertaking for me, right in the middle of the Spring rush (at work, and also in my yard), but I am happy I went for it, finally.  I stare lovingly at the Island of the Sun as I pass by it daily.  I came across that name for it in listening to a podcast about Inca history.  I am curious to do more research on it, but apparently that was the name given to some islands in the middle of the high-altitude Lake Titicaca.  It seemed fitting!

1 comment:

  1. The Island In The Sun is so creative and interesting! You really "laid the groundwork" and put in a lot of thought. Our silver dollar eucalyptus, which is at least 7 years old, is about 3 feet tall, but has spread to about 5 feet in diameter. I wish Freda and Marven could see your work!

    ReplyDelete

Marble Mountains (Pt. 4)

...Continued from Pt. 3 ...  Cresting Burn Mountain As we approached the top of what I have been calling "Burn Mountain", the trai...